Tuesday, August 21, 2012
Trudging along
A quick review of all the irons-in-the-fire:
Still have not heard back from Bank #1. This doesn't surprise me, although it does disappoint me.
I signed up with a temp agency that specializes in accounting and office work (around here, there's tons of factory work and not much else). He told me they have trouble finding people for their office positions because so many folks around here have no college education. I took all the tests and whatnot and still haven't heard back from him. He did say that sometimes they can find a job within 24 hours, sometimes it takes a few weeks. Again, not surprised.
I interviewed with the owners of a local winery. They have this hair-brained idea of opening a restaurant on their property. They installed a brick oven, and they're doing micro-brews, and plan on serving pizzas and a few other quick-service items. Frankly, it's not well thought-out, and they clearly have no idea what they're doing. But they're hiring someone to run the whole she-bang--both cook and kitchen manager. The interview went well enough, but Mr. Winery said that Mrs. Winery was the real decision maker, and she wasn't in town, so they'd call me. No call, who's surprised? Honestly, I was sketchy on in anyway. Yes, it paid very, very well for restaurant work. But I'm concerned about my ability to physically do all that work on my own. One bad fibro flare-up and it'll bench me. At my coffee shop, I would be hiring people to do most of the food prep, giving me time to sit at the computer and do the administrative stuff... as the owner it'd be easy to break up my time so that I'm not standing all day or sitting all day, which is what I need to keep the fibro pain at bay. So while I'm disappointed I won't be making the money they offer for the position, I'm a little relieved that I don't have to step up to the plate for such a difficult physical challenge.
I sent in my appeal for unemployment. Of course The Bank is contesting unemployment, so I had to get all bad-ass on them. They claimed that their policy was enforced evenly. I cited 4 different instances where similar policies were violated and the perpetrators either got a written documentation or no disciplinary action at all. And so far I have a statement from one other employee saying she was also asked to "alter documents" in the manner that I was, and that she witnessed me being instructed to do so. I have another coming from a 2nd employee, but he's dragging his feet for some reason.
I received the official charges being filed against The Bank. Three charges: EPA (Equal Pay Act), Title 7 (Sex discrimination) and Retaliation. I signed all the copies and sent them back in, along with copies of about a dozen emails I'd sent to Boss or VP complaining about behaviors in the charges, the written statement from the first employee who witnessed my being instructed to "alter documents", as well as the last written employee review I received over a year ago--one that said I'm an excellent employee and ready for promotion. I also sent in a statement about what I'm willing to accept as a settlement, should they wish to settle out of court. It went something like this: 1) don't contest my unemployment, and if it's denied before our settlement goes through, pay the $262/week I should have been paid. 2) a neutral reference 3) "Liquidated Damages" to address the EPA charge--i.e.: back pay for the the pay disparity, which is limited to 2 years. Since I should have been promoted 2 years ago, I want 2 years worth of Asst. Mgr. pay--or an additional $5.50/hr. That comes to $22,880. And the bonuses I'd have earned come to $7200. 4) To address the Title 7 and retaliation charges, I want to be reinstated. I know they won't reinstate me, so I'd ask for 3 years pay instead. At the manager's rate--because the guy who got my promotion unfairly is now a manager making at least $50k/year PLUS bonuses. It all totals up to just under $200,000. In court they're subject to punitive damages of $300,000. So I told them I'd go in asking for the $300,000 flat, but willing to settle for the $200,000. If this goes to court, they'll spend at least that much defending it, if not more, and it becomes a matter of public record. They can pay me handsomely to go away quietly.
Still have not heard back from Bank #1. This doesn't surprise me, although it does disappoint me.
I signed up with a temp agency that specializes in accounting and office work (around here, there's tons of factory work and not much else). He told me they have trouble finding people for their office positions because so many folks around here have no college education. I took all the tests and whatnot and still haven't heard back from him. He did say that sometimes they can find a job within 24 hours, sometimes it takes a few weeks. Again, not surprised.
I interviewed with the owners of a local winery. They have this hair-brained idea of opening a restaurant on their property. They installed a brick oven, and they're doing micro-brews, and plan on serving pizzas and a few other quick-service items. Frankly, it's not well thought-out, and they clearly have no idea what they're doing. But they're hiring someone to run the whole she-bang--both cook and kitchen manager. The interview went well enough, but Mr. Winery said that Mrs. Winery was the real decision maker, and she wasn't in town, so they'd call me. No call, who's surprised? Honestly, I was sketchy on in anyway. Yes, it paid very, very well for restaurant work. But I'm concerned about my ability to physically do all that work on my own. One bad fibro flare-up and it'll bench me. At my coffee shop, I would be hiring people to do most of the food prep, giving me time to sit at the computer and do the administrative stuff... as the owner it'd be easy to break up my time so that I'm not standing all day or sitting all day, which is what I need to keep the fibro pain at bay. So while I'm disappointed I won't be making the money they offer for the position, I'm a little relieved that I don't have to step up to the plate for such a difficult physical challenge.
I sent in my appeal for unemployment. Of course The Bank is contesting unemployment, so I had to get all bad-ass on them. They claimed that their policy was enforced evenly. I cited 4 different instances where similar policies were violated and the perpetrators either got a written documentation or no disciplinary action at all. And so far I have a statement from one other employee saying she was also asked to "alter documents" in the manner that I was, and that she witnessed me being instructed to do so. I have another coming from a 2nd employee, but he's dragging his feet for some reason.
I received the official charges being filed against The Bank. Three charges: EPA (Equal Pay Act), Title 7 (Sex discrimination) and Retaliation. I signed all the copies and sent them back in, along with copies of about a dozen emails I'd sent to Boss or VP complaining about behaviors in the charges, the written statement from the first employee who witnessed my being instructed to "alter documents", as well as the last written employee review I received over a year ago--one that said I'm an excellent employee and ready for promotion. I also sent in a statement about what I'm willing to accept as a settlement, should they wish to settle out of court. It went something like this: 1) don't contest my unemployment, and if it's denied before our settlement goes through, pay the $262/week I should have been paid. 2) a neutral reference 3) "Liquidated Damages" to address the EPA charge--i.e.: back pay for the the pay disparity, which is limited to 2 years. Since I should have been promoted 2 years ago, I want 2 years worth of Asst. Mgr. pay--or an additional $5.50/hr. That comes to $22,880. And the bonuses I'd have earned come to $7200. 4) To address the Title 7 and retaliation charges, I want to be reinstated. I know they won't reinstate me, so I'd ask for 3 years pay instead. At the manager's rate--because the guy who got my promotion unfairly is now a manager making at least $50k/year PLUS bonuses. It all totals up to just under $200,000. In court they're subject to punitive damages of $300,000. So I told them I'd go in asking for the $300,000 flat, but willing to settle for the $200,000. If this goes to court, they'll spend at least that much defending it, if not more, and it becomes a matter of public record. They can pay me handsomely to go away quietly.
Comments:
Post a Comment