<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, March 07, 2013

Damn Gubbamint 

So yeah, it's been way more than two weeks. I keep running to the mailbox in anticipation, to no avail. I strongly suspect that the government sequester cuts have shut down the office--although we were already past our two week estimation at the time the sequester started. I am damned tired of waiting. Patience may be a virtue, but it's not a fucking career and it don't pay the bills!

Speaking of work, I'm resigned to the fact that Candy is just as dumb as a bag of hair. Bless her heart. Last week, I came in on Thursday (after she'd worked two shifts in a row to cover my days off), to find our iPhone 4 demo sitting out on the counter, along with a stack of old, outdated mock phones we'd set aside to give away to little kids.Yes, a working, LIVE demo. Good thing we live in PoDunk Nowhereville, or that bastard would've walked away within minutes!! I about had a heart attack, and a Red Shirt (Major Retailer Employee) laughed and said that she'd left it out two days in a row--after they'd found it and locked it up, and she argued with them that it was worthless and we could give it away for some kid to play with.

WHAT???

OK, yes: we have a box full of old mock phones--the pretend ones you see at pretty much every cell phone sales display in the country. Outdated ones for phones that we no longer sell. Since they're no longer part of our inventory, normally we'd throw them out, but I decided that since little kids are always wanting to play with the displays, why not keep a few and give them away? I showed Candy the box and explained. She was excited and agreed this was a great idea. On that same day, I also discovered that we had a working iPhone 4 that was meant as a demo (no service). I charged it and booted it up, and showed her: "Look, now you can show people how it works--and you can get a good idea of how the operating system works so that when people ask you questions, you're not completely in the dark. I'll let you know when we have to send it back, because I heard we're getting an iPhone 5 demo soon, but I don't know when."

These two events happening on the same day was apparently too much information for her simple brain to process. She decided the demo was the same as the mock phones. The bewildering thing is, I purposefully locked up the demo, but left the mock phones sitting out on the counter (after all, I didn't mind if someone took one). She had to unlock the demo, and put it with the others on purpose. And then the Electronics Red Shirts tried desperately to get her to understand the mistake she was making and she argued with them, essentially telling them that they didn't know the cell phone business. [facepalm]

I had to call her and chew her ass. I'm 99% certain that I made her cry. Basically I told her that if that $600 piece of equipment had gone missing, I would have had to fire her, and not to make such a careless mistake with valuable property again. AND the next time someone is TRYING to save her from making a terrible mistake, it would be WISE to pick up the phone can call someone for confirmation, rather than just assume that your 5 weeks of experience in the business is all you need to claim superiority over anyone else.

Frustratingly, my boss informed me that no, she would not be fired for such an offense, unless it became habitual. My immediate thought was, "Oh, so how many live phones can I "lose" before someone starts paying attention?" It's a damned good thing I'm an honest person, right?

She had to put a cherry on the Dipshit Cupcake, though: she called me on my day off this week with another printer problem: when she tried to print something, all it did was try to make copies. "Open the scanner and take out whatever is on the glass. Turn off the printer and turn it back on." [zip errrrrr waaaaaah buzzz] "Oh it worked!! Ohmigod you are a GENIOUS!!"

sigh.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?