<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, August 07, 2013

A douche by any other name... 

After all this time, you'd think Boss would be able to move on. He apparently holds a grudge, though.See, last month, I had to file a dispute on a transaction on my account. I'd signed up for one of those dumb websites that automatically charges your account for a subscription unless you jump through one hoop or another, and after numerous attempts to cancel it, and still getting charged, I finally gave up, filed the dispute and cancelled the debit card it was charging. Having actually worked at the bank, I know how this is supposed to work, so I'm not stressed. Of course it didn't work like it's supposed to, because, well, because Boss is a douchebag.

First of all, every time I call the branch, Joshua answers the phone. He's got a slightly-louder than normal and "urgent" kind of tone to his voice that instantly informs the listener that he is a douchebro. I imagine that in his off-duty hours, he spends his free time fist-pumping and tossing his Ed Hardy shirt aside to show off his tan.I digress.

Me: "I need to file a dispute."
Joshua: "OK, actually, I can't do anything over the phone, you'll have to come in for that."
Me: "No, actually, you are legally required to begin the dispute process when I inform you of my dispute over the phone. I can come in tomorrow to sign the papers. I won't have a lot of time, though, so can you also get a debit card re-order form ready for me, too?"
Joshua: "No, I can't re-order the debit card until you sign the form."
Me: "I know that. But you can complete the form today so that I don't have to wait for you to complete it while I'm there."
Joshua: [extremely put out and unsure of how to proceed] "Hold on." [puts me on hold for about a minute] "OK,  give me a second and we'll get the dispute started."

I came in the next day and signed everything, and went about my business. Now legally, the bank is obligated to either complete their investigation or give me a provisional credit for the amount disputed within 10 days. After 10 days had passed, I had not received a credit, and I had not received any communication from the bank regarding the investigation. I assumed that perhaps the dispute was rejected and I'd be getting a letter within a few days explaining why. Instead, I got a letter from the corporate offices with a copy of my dispute saying that they couldn't begin their investigation for it until I signed it.

Hmm... I had already signed this dispute. Sounds fishy, doesn't it? I called the branch. Joshua answered again. I explained that I'd just received a request from the corporate offices to sign a dispute I had already signed two weeks ago. I was put on hold for a couple of minutes, and he came back and told me that they could not figure out what had gone wrong, because in the system, it appeared to have been scanned, but they would rescan it and upload it right away, and that should take care of the problem.

That was yesterday. All day yesterday, I just kept thinking about it. I know how this system works: if a dispute's documents don't get scanned in within a couple of days, the branch gets an email asking for them from the corporate office. If the documents were scanned improperly for some reason (for example, if some idiot scanned a bunch of blank pages and uploaded them without looking at the scans), that same corporate office would email the entire branch informing them of the mistake. They do this so that if the person responsible isn't working that day, someone else can take care of the problem in a timely manner. So how is it that my dispute (of all the disputes they take on a regular basis) not only failed to get scanned in properly the first time, but failed to get rescanned when the corporate office requested them? Seems extremely fishy to me.

So today I emailed customer service, outlining the course of events, and laying it out for them: as a former employee, I know the rules, and I know the branch was notified, so why hadn't anyone contacted me again if they thought I hadn't signed anything, and why hadn't the signed documents been rescanned? I pointed out that I hadn't left the company on good terms, and I suspected this "mistake" was intentional. I asked that my complaint be forwarded over Boss's head as I expected he'd treat my complain the way I'd seen him deal with things he didn't want to take the blame for in the past: blaming another employee, or falsifying the complaint ticket to make it appear that he had attempted to contact me but was unable to. A couple of hours later, I got a call from Customer Care. She had contacted the branch to check on the status of the dispute, and what do you know, they couldn't find the signed dispute anywhere, and they claim that the dispute had been "accidentally" put in the shredder, and the shredder had since been emptied. Of course no one had called ME to ask me to come in and resign a copy. And the shredder gets emptied ONCE a MONTH. Oh, and disputes are not routinely shredded, they are required to be kept for an entire year before they can be shredded. This whole story sounds less and less accidental as we go along, doesn't it?

The thing is, this whole process isn't just some little way Boss can be a douchebag and fuck with me--it's covered by FEDERAL LAW, and the bank could be fined THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS for fucking up.

So Miss Customer Care asked me to sign the copy I'd received in the mail and email it to her, and she'd make sure it got processed today, and in the meantime, she'd forward all her notes on the situation to Boss's boss.

And an hour later, I got a brief call from Boss's Boss. First, he complimented me on my personal account maintenance because he was going to refund some overdraft fees in order to compensate me for the problems (I had two late fees for bills I couldn't pay on time because of this), but I have no overdraft fees to refund. He said he was going to investigate and get back with me.

If there is any justice in the universe, Boss will get in disproportionally major doo-doo for this one.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?